Sunday, July 17, 2011

Vid of the Week: The Origin of Love

Me and J watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch last weekend. If you haven't seen it, it's a truly amazing film based on the off-broadway musical. Long story short it follows the story of Hansel, a boy from East berlin, who after a failed sex change becomes Hedwig, marries and American GI, moves to Kansas, gets divorced, forms a band ans falls in love with a religious teenager who, after they breakup, takes all her songs and claims them as his own, hitting big time with the music and image that that were created for him.

I used it as an extra text in year 12, with our topic being "belonging" and was told that a story about a sex change wasn't complex enough. My teacher hadn't seen the movie and my essay couldn't do the story justice, I guess.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it- do. It's fab. So, in the spirit of this fabulous movie, here is one of my favourite scenes/songs from it.


 I could swear by your expression
that the pain down in your soul
was the same
as the one down in mine.

That's the pain
that cuts a straight line down through the heart.
We called it love.


You may notice I've mentioned this song before in a previous post because it was the inspiration for one of my short stories.
-m xx

No comments:

Post a Comment