Thursday, April 07, 2011

Mah Hurr

I dyed it. I even added highlights (!).
It looks like this:





Now, I bet you're wondering how I did these highlights. And no, smartypants, I didn't buy one of those 2 in 1 hair dyes with a funky highlighting comb. I did it alllll myself. And because I am generous with sharing the secret to my now-amazing hair, I shall tell you.

First, you will need to gather your materials.
You will need:
  • powder bleach
  • hydrogen peroxide developer (I used 20vol. You're less likely to end up with white hair than you would with 30 or 40)
  • gloves. These are incredibly important!
  • a plastic bowl for the mixin's
  • an old mascara brush.
Ok, so now for your method. PUT ON YOUR GLOVES. this is the most important part because you don't want blisters on your hands, k?

Then, mix a small amount of bleach and developer in your bowl as per the instructions on your product. Now I would err on the thin side with the bleach, as you don't want too intense a result.
Using the mascara brush, apply the bleach to small, sporadic sections of hair, both on the top and underlying layers. 

If you're anything like me, your next step will be to get sick of the mascara brush and the gloops that keep falling off it and on to your (now spotty) bath mat, and opt for a more "hands on" approach. In the end, I just grabbed some bleach mix, rubbed it through my (gloved) fingers and then dragged them all through my hair.

IMPORTANT: Since you'll be going root to tip, the bleach will often be used up before it reaches the ends of your hair so make sure you check the tip and rub some through a few areas.

I left the bleach for about 10min but you could easily go longer for less subtle results. What I ended up with is varying tones of dark and light auburn, and I'm pretty happy with the results. This is just further proof that I should have dropped out of school and studied hair dressing. 


Moving on to something other than my hair: my boyfriend!
So ABC aired the interview, and it is available for your viewing pleasure here.
The video is below the photo on the right of the page, or of course you can read the article but then you wouldn't see my boy embarrass himself somewhat.

Let's play "Count how many times James Wall can say "obvious" in one response"!

Now you may have noticed my promised Half-Assed Weekend Post never actually surfaced adn really I had no time last weekend. And when I did have some time, I was at my Dad's where the computer simply refuses to post on blogger. Go figure. But it will be up this weekend, I promise! In fact, I may even post two!

I don't want to give too much away but Sunday's will be dedicated to a bit of a video series for the next few weeks. Featuring a certain brittish music artist perhaps? Suspense!

Also, if you haven't yet, go check out my photos from Saturday night on mbp. Seriously. Go look. But I can't be held responsible if you never find anything visually exciting ever again.

And now, in the spirit of Friday, I give you the musical genius of Rebecca Black. Simply because I'm sure there are about 3 people in the world who haven't seen it yet.


Yupp, it sure is Friday.
-m xx

1 comment:

  1. Love your hair, red is my favourite hair color of all time! :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete