Monday, May 10, 2010

Product placement in Dr Who


prof. River Song, and THE shoes.


Ok, so I was watching Dr. Who last night, a fantastic episode in which the weeping angels return called "Time of the Angels" and I noticed something that at first shocked and excited and then somewhat disgusted me.
River Song, return character and The Doctor's possible future wife, struts into view at the start of the episode, but the camera, instead of focusing on her, focuses oh so subtly on her shoes. Which were, most surprisingly, undeniably the Alti pump by Christian Louboutin. I had to see the red sole before I would allow myself to really believe it was them, but red sole I saw plenty. They really made a point of showing them, they were always at eye level. And though they never showed the name itself, the distinctive look of a Louboutin is unmistakeable. Now, at first it seemed fabulous. A marriage of two things I love, that had previously not been linked together in the slightest. but then I realised, does Dr. Who really need to stoop to an especially young cast and the inclusion of designer fashion to get an audience? Are they perhaps trying to appeal to a wider, more modern group of people by showing that they too, know who the shoe designer du jour is? It seems wrong, and I hate to seem like the I'm-so-underground-I-only-like-bands-you've-never-heard-of-and-everyone-on-radio-is-deliberately-commercial type, but it screams "Sell out" to me. it's not the right fit. it's as if River is squeezing herself into a size 8 when she's really a definite 8.5 or maybe even a 9 in a small make. (Though they did look fantastic, and boy she walked well in them). It just didn't feel right to me.





Pay special attention to the last 40seconds or so. The shoes are hanging on a rung of the Tardis, one on each side of River's face, with the red soles very clear and visible. Subtle guys, subtle.



and just to show you how damn scary the weeping angels are...
They're actually girls painted and wearing rubber wings and stuff half of the time.
That's it for now
-m

2 comments:

  1. how bizarre! interesting though :)

    I actually get semi decent flats from like novo, wanted, etc, because the ruby ones tear up my feet. I just wear them to death though :) haha. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, product placement that isn't totally relevant usually leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth too.

    xx FujiFiles

    ReplyDelete